You are here
Live Ageing Colonies
The live ageing colonies is a registry of the colonies in the UK and the rest of the world from which samples may be requested or collected at the time of sacrifice. These colonies are held by researchers passionate about their commitment to the 3R's. Please email info@ShARMUK.org to place your request which will be reviewed by the colony owner.
Colonies currently available
Male and female aged 12 month + C57Bl6/J, BALB/cByJ, DBA/2 mice
Tissues will become available from an imminent harvest of 12 month old male TgF344-AD and litter-mates wild type rats (Fischer 344 background strain). All tissues are available for researchers to request with the exception of fresh brain; fresh frozen brain sections can be made available on request. Future harvests of the same rats will be from 18 month old rats, and possibly 24 month old rats (to be confirmed).
More information on the strain is available in the following paper:
A transgenic Alzheimer rat with plaques, tau pathology, behavioral impairment, oligomeric aβ, and frank neuronal loss.
Cohen RM, Rezai-Zadeh K, Weitz TM, Rentsendorj A, Gate D, Spivak I, Bholat Y, Vasilevko V, Glabe CG, Breunig JJ, Rakic P, Davtyan H, Agadjanyan MG, Kepe V, Barrio JR, Bannykh S, Szekely CA, Pechnick RN, Town T.
Drug/dietary restricted mice :
- The University of Michigan Glenn Center for Aging Research is accumulating tissues from male and female mice that have been treated with drugs known to extend lifespan, specifically Rapamycin, Acarbose, and 17-alpha-estradiol. Tissues from control mice and from mice on a calorie-restricted diet are also available. With a few exceptions, tissues are taken from mice at age 12 or age 22 months. Some of these materials are already available, and others will enter the archive within the next year. Researchers interested in discussing collaborative research projects that involve work on these tissues are asked to contact Dr. Richard Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org
- C57BL/6J male mice aged 20 months collected weekly More info
- C57BL/6J male mice aged 3 months collected weekly More info
- C57BL/6J female mice aged 21 months, collected on an ad hoc basis More info
- BALB/cAnNHsd female mice aged 21 months, collected on an ad hoc basis More info
Mice may also become available for rehousing in instances where an investigator's circumstances have changed. In these cases, email notifications will be sent to registered users and the mice will be issued on a first come first served basis.
Need something else?
If you can't find what you're looking for above you may wish to contact one of the animal suppliers who hold stocks of aged mice for sale:
Live ageing colony FAQs